Sweet Dreams Bake Shoppe

Sweet Dreams Bake Shoppe
Like us on Facebook for more pictures and information

Friday 1 February 2013

Aged Egg Whites for Macarons

December 27, 2012

                Macarons require the use of aged egg whites so I would suggest that if you are going to make macarons you need to plan ahead. Some say two days of aging the egg whites will do the trick while others swear by the seven day rule. My macaron teacher specifically said seven days, but I do not think I will be able to age them for the full seven days as I have to go back to completing my bachelors of education in a week and a bit (need time to relax!). So although I know I could end up with less than perfect macarons if I do not follow the methods and recipe that has been given to me, I am constrained by time which I am sure many of you are as well. I will take my chances!
                I separated my egg whites today very carefully making sure not to get that little white part (I feel silly that I do not know what the technical term for that is) in the egg whites. The whites need to be as pure as possible or else the macarons will not work. I cracked a few more eggs than I needed just in case I spill some when I am measuring out the egg whites (which I suggest you do when you are ready to make the macarons). I put the egg whites in a stainless steel baking bowl, wrapped it, poked holes in the saran wrap and put it in the fridge. I have a mini fridge that I specifically use to store all of my baking goods just in case someone orders take-out and the smells get into my baked goods. The other solution to that problem would be using baking soda, but for those of you who constantly forget to replace your baking soda (like me...), a fridge dedicated to baking materials is the perfect solution.
                Separate your whites now if you want to have delicious macarons next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment