Sweet Dreams Bake Shoppe

Sweet Dreams Bake Shoppe
Like us on Facebook for more pictures and information

Sunday 7 April 2013

Easy Peasy Lemon Bars

I didn't make any Easter cookies this years because I am busy with my education practicum, but I did manage to whip up some lemon bars for my soon to be mother-in-law (who absolutely loves them). I brought them over for Easter dinner for a light and lemony dessert.

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com and the title says it perfectly: The BEST Lemon Bars. It's true, they are the best and I followed the recipe's rule of thumb by using no substitutions. So why am I posting about a recipe that is already awesome? Well, if you're like how I was a few years ago, you might need some extra guidance for each step so here goes!

The Recipe:

For the crust:


1 Cup Butter (softened)
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour

For the lemon filling:

4 Eggs
1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
2 Lemons Juiced (I used one and a half and managed to get a great lemon flavour; it really depends on the size of your lemons and the amount of tartness you prefer)

The Method:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F


Take the softened butter, the granulated sugar and the all-purpose flour and blend it together. I used my Kitchen-aid, but you could very well do this by hand if your butter is nicely softened.

The mixture at this point will be quite crumbly. Place it in a 9 inch pan (I made sure to butter mine generously even though my pan is already non-stick) and press it in. The mixture should seem rather firm once it is pressed in. I used the flat of my hands and fists to level out the crust. Bake the crust for approximately 17 minutes. Don't worry if the crust doesn't come out golden on the edges because the crust will be placed in the oven again later.

While the crust is baking, whip up the eggs, granulated sugar, all-purpose flour and lemon juice with a hand whisk.


Your mixture should look something like this!

Take out your crust from the oven and pour the above mixture directly over the crust.


Pop it into the oven for another 17 minutes. It should come out looking like this



After the mixture cools, sprinkle some icing sugar on top using a sieve for a nice snowy and light effect. Cut into squares and I guarantee your friends and family will gobble them up...


Just like I did


Beautiful Baking Sweeties!

2 comments:

  1. Easy peasy indeed! I tried it and it turned out amazing! Well, other than the fact that I made my crust too high... other than that, it was great! Oh I also replaced the 4 eggs with 1 cup apple sauce + 2 teaspoons of baking soda (for those that are allergic to eggs).

    Thanks for the recipe, Ash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea for the egg replacement---will definitely try that out some time.

      Delete